Marketing in the News

 





For the "Marketing in the News” topic I chose the Dunkin Donuts x Ice Spice collab. I chose this marketing campaign because it not only piqued my interest but I thought it was funny. The 30 second ad has current Brandbassador Ben Afleck and Female Rapper Ice Spice doing a pitch meeting about a new product launch for Dunkin. In the ad Aleck describes how they have to make their marketing pitch “authentic” and “relatable to the kids”. They go on to talk about how Ice spice fits into the marketing campaign in a comedic but informative way.


Before Dunkin dropped the ad, they made sure to tease fans beforehand to create more interests and hype. “Both the musical artist and the brand teased the alliance via social media over the past few days, stoking interest in the liquid concoction with a seasonal twist. “America runs on Munchkins,” Ice Spice tweeted, a nod to the brand’s popular tagline, her first viral hit “Munch (Feelin’ U),” and her followers who crowdsourced their collective moniker based on the song title.”(Adweek)


 Jill McVicar Nelson, Dunkin’s CMO, was also quoted saying “Pumpkin spice season has gotten a bit predictable lately,” while also saying this is  “a collaboration you never knew you needed.” The product has been available since September 13th and is only available for a limited time.The Value Proposition of Dunkin’ Donuts is that they offer quality coffee and the freshest donuts for everyday folks. This also goes hand in hand with their slogan “America Runs on Dunkin'”.


I thought the Ad and the marketing campaign was great. I saw the ad on multiple social media sites. It was also a trend to try the drink, which boosted its popularity even more on tik tok. I think adding a rising star like Ice Spice and pairing her with Ben Affleck in a comedic ad was a great Idea. I definitely thought it was one of the more remarkable parts of the ad/Marketing campaign.It definitely reached a lot of different target audiences and they meshed very well in the promotion. While the newer trend is to hit more niche demographics I think doing the opposite helped Dunkin more. 

I don’t think I would change anything on how the Marketing campaign was run. I think they did an amazing job and helped boost the product. But I did learn alot about Dunkin and how well they have been running they’re ad Campaigns. 



https://nypost.com/2023/09/13/ben-affleck-ice-spice-team-up-for-new-dunkin-commercial/

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/ice-spice-joins-ben-affleck-as-a-dunkin-superfan-in-new-ad/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my Marketing Blog

$1Margaritas are back!